Tejas a posé la question dans Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · il y a 1 décennie

what is the meaning of "give me a favor",grammatically?

8 réponses

Pertinence
  • ?
    Lv 4
    il y a 1 décennie
    Réponse favorite

It would be said in english: "do me a favor"

As in

Would you please do me a favor? I need you to drive me to work today.

or

Would you please perform a favor for me?

or

I need a favor. Can you drive me to work today?

You wouldn't say

Would you please give me a favor?

• Commenter avatarConnectez-vous pour commenter des réponses
  • il y a 3 ans

Meaning Of Favor

• il y a 1 décennie

There are actually two senses of giving someone a favor... well perhaps three (I'll explain shortly).

A "favor" sometimes can be used to refer to a physical object, that is given as a small present. An example of this would be "party favors" that are given out to all of the attendees of a party (a birthday party, a bachelor's party, a baptism party, or just a societal party, etc). Although rather rare, the language is still used.

This previous expression is probably derived from the medieval custom of a lady giving her "favor" to a knight. The lady would favor the knight, expressing her desire that he should win a certain competition (such as jousting); the knight (or, often, many knights) would ask the lady for "her favor" before the start of the competition, and the lady might assent, giving a piece of fabric to the knight to signify that he has her 'favor', or is her favorite, for the competition. This small gift of fabric (or, sometimes jewelry) began to be called a 'favor'. This ancient custom was expanded, and in the 17th century it became quite customary for a woman to give 'a favor' (again, usually a small piece of cloth or jewelry, but sometimes a larger gift) to a man; but the context was expanded to include circumstances of any romantic meeting (rather than a contest).

It is probable that this act of 'giving a favor' was further expanded to include any gift, perhaps even that of a certain action, and between members of either sex, whether romantically linked or not. "To give a favor" then takes on the new meaning of doing something for someone else, originally as a symbol of romantic ties, but later to demonstrate ones friendship.

This last sense of doing something for someone else has lost its connection with the gift of an object, so now has taken on the new language of "doing someone a favor" instead of "giving someone a favor". It is now virtually unheard of to "give someone a favor" except in those countries where 'favors' still refer to small gifts, or in some English dialects where the phrase has not yet been converted to "do someone a favor".

Source(s) : Doctoral student in linguistics.
  • il y a 4 ans

Favors Definition

• Que pensez-vous des réponses ? Vous pouvez vous connecter afin de voter pour la réponse.
  • Anonyme
    il y a 5 ans

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the meaning of "give me a favor",grammatically?

Source(s) : meaning quot give favor quot grammatically: https://biturl.im/31GUN
  • Lucy
    Lv 4
    il y a 4 ans

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awWxX

Because it is "what does this mean?" you wouldn't say "what is this do?" you would say "what does this do?" or "what is that say?" it's "what does that say?" and there are a million other examples but I'm sure you're bored by now. SO...the reason why, i don't know but it's a stupid english grammar rule that you just have to go along with.

• B K
    Lv 7
    il y a 1 décennie

Nothing - "give me a favour" doesn't make sense.

The phrase is "do me a favour". It means "can you do something for me, as a favour"

• Anonyme
    il y a 6 ans

no, do me a favor is correct .

• il y a 6 ansSignaler

*gimme a favor is correct

Vous avez d’autres questions ? Pour obtenir des réponses, posez vos questions dès maintenant.