Holly R a posé la question dans Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · il y a 1 décennie

Were any of you given cod liver oil regularly as a child?

I remember being given in every day until I went to school. I loved it but don't remember why I was given it.

20 réponses

Pertinence
  • Anonyme
    il y a 1 décennie
    Meilleure réponse

Yes & I loved the way it tasted too! How strange! Mom kept it in the fridge (next to the CASTOR Oil) & it NEVER tasted fishy or smelled funny. I never knew what it was intended to be used for, other than to "promote good health", until I watched the news a few days ago & they said it was a vitamin D supplement that was used to prevent RICKETS in children! That makes perfect sense, considering the fact that childrens vitamins weren't sold on every shelf & our food didn't have them added in, as we do in this day & age.

• Connectez-vous pour commenter des réponses
  • Anonyme
    il y a 1 décennie

it is great for many things . iron for one . keeps your bowls working properly . shame it is not as well used today . science has pushed everything natural out to make room for something they cooked up . my wife is on allot of meds and i asked her nurse if she was giving her the vitamins . she said no that they were not good for her . I hit the f --king roof. well she now get them regularly . had a doctor try to tell my mother how bad natural remades are . but he shut up when i pointed out that the drugs he peddles are what payed for his house .

i use cod oil but not often enough . but they make items like that so expensive that you cant afford it . then you have the Medicaid and care . why do they not pay for it . before going to those other drugs that has 30 side affects just to help you take a dump or get rid of a rash . because there is no money to be made with healthy people.

• Anonyme
    il y a 1 décennie

No, I guess Mom and Dad felt that we ate pretty healthy diets out on the farm but you better not come down with a cold. Dad believed that a cold, or just about any thing that ailed you, could be cured with a big dose of Milk Of Magnesia. Well, I guess it might have helped some because, you definitely did not have much fluid left in your body to stop up your nose or even muster up a tear when Dad got through with you with those doses of Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Talk about " Loose as a Goose " That we were. That we were.

Source(s) : Texan
  • Lynn
    Lv 7
    il y a 1 décennie

You loved it? Are you sure we're talking about the same

thing here? Oh that oil was nasty stuff, I thought. Every morning I'd get a big spoonful of it, and mom would hand me

a glass of freshly squeezed OJ to wash it down with. That was

before canned juices were available. So OJ was always

squeezed in a glass juicer. We took that in place of vitamin

pills, since there weren't vitimin pills for kids anyway. It made

moms' feel good that they were sending their kids off to

school with a good healthy dose of vitamins. Which ones I

don't know know. But our moms' believed it anyway.

• Que pensez-vous des réponses ? Vous pouvez vous connecter afin de voter pour la réponse.
  • il y a 1 décennie

Yes, with half an orange. I hated it! some in here are confusing Castor Oil with Cod liver oil.

Now they recommend that fish oil stuff.

• DeeJay
    Lv 7
    il y a 1 décennie

I remember it well. It tasted like fish oil, which is exactly what it was.

I'm pretty sure it was good for us. It has vitamin A and D and no telling what else.

I wonder if we should still be using it.

We were much healthier then.

DeeJay.

EDIT: I do know that if it isn't processed right and stored right, it will smell rancid.

• CJ
    Lv 6
    il y a 1 décennie

Yuck - yes, every single day until I went to boarding school!

It is supposed to be some sort of antioxidant! Other than that I do not know what it is used for! CJ

• il y a 1 décennie

My grandmother gave it to all of her six children. My Uncle Mickey loved it so much, she had to hide it on the top shelf of the ice box. I think for vitamin D, which is now added to our milk. My mother and the rest thought he was nuts, and talks about that to this day.

My vet had me give it to my German Shepherd pup, to make her ears firmer when they stood up.

• Anonyme
    il y a 1 décennie

God yes us kids got to hate to say we were sick.Mom would get the cod liver oil out, yuck-yuck

• il y a 1 décennie

LOL! my dad and i were just talking about this the other day. his mom tried her hardest to feed that stuff to him every day of his childhood, without much success. it was supposed to keep you regular, as i understand,which, of course, was the only way to stay healthy.

Vous avez d’autres questions ? Pour obtenir des réponses, posez vos questions dès maintenant.